Founder and Executive Director
My name’s Jenelle Marie Pierce (fka Davis) and I am STD+. *Hi, Jenelle.* Since I was 16 years old, I’ve lived with genital herpes – otherwise known as the herpes simplex virus (HSV) or simply, herpes (I’ve also had other STIs). Who admits that? *raises hand* Want to know more about my experience with an STI or STD? Read my STD Interview on The STD Project.
More importantly, having an STD has not hindered my love life, dampened my ambition, or limited my relationships. I’ve been married, auditioned for American Idol, gone skydiving 3 times, been an auditor for a Big 4 accounting firm, ran a 25k, started successful businesses, worked as a ‘carny’ on a fried veggie wagon (seriously), completed 2 honors degrees, etc., etc.. An infection, in short, has not stopped me from achieving anything or enjoying my life.
I am here to tell you, having trichomoniasis does not have to stop you either.
Because of my personal experience with a stigmatized infection, in April of 2012, I launched The STD Project and have been working on it ever since. Trichomoniasis.Education is an extension of that work.
Sure, no one wants an infection – I don’t want a cold or the flu – but, as humans, our bodies are not infallible. They are resilient, yes, but certainly not infallible, and maladies are part of the human experience.
Along with running The STD Project and its child sites, I am the Spokesperson for PositiveSingles.com and the STD Expert for Answers.com. Previously, I was also a Hepatitis C Expert for HepatitisC.net and an adjunct professor for Grand Rapids Community College, so I am well-versed in research and advocacy.
To stay current in the field of sexual health and trichomoniasis, I tri-chair the Communications Action Group for the National Coalition for Sexual Health (NCSH), and I am a member of the International Union Against Sexually Transmitted Diseases (IUASTD), the American Sexually Transmitted Diseases Association (ASTDA), the National Coalition of STD Directors (NCSD), and the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable (NVHR).
My work has been featured in popular TV, radio, and print outlets such as: Cosmopolitan Magazine, Jezebel, Forbes, HuffPost Live, NPR, Refinery 29, NOW Magazine (UK), SELF, xoJane, and many more.
- Spokesperson – PositiveSingles.com – Present
- STD Expert – Answers.com – Present
- Freelance Writer – The Washington Post, Planned Parenthood, Allure, Kinkly.com, and others – Present
- Professional Speaker – AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF), Red Project, and others – Present
- Hepatitis C Expert – HepatitisC.net – 2015-2017
- Adjunct Professor – Grand Rapids Community College – 2012-2016
- National Coalition for Sexual Health (NCSH) – Tri-Chair of the Communications Action Group
- The International Union Against Sexually Transmitted Infections (IUSTI)
- American Sexually Transmitted Diseases Association (ASTDA)
- National Coalition of STD Directors (NCSD)
- National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable (NVHR)
- MBA – Graduated with high honors from the Honors Program – Davenport University
- BBA – Graduated with honors from the Honors Program – Davenport University
Notable Awards & Recognition**
- 50 Most Influential Women in West Michigan 2016
- 40 Under 40 Business Leader 2015
- Advocates Unite! Caring Ambassadors Fellow 2015
Most importantly, I understand what it’s like to feel stereotyped, misunderstood, and alone with something considered taboo. As a result, I work to encourage education and facilitate thoughtful discussion about sexual health and trichomoniasis, specifically. I can also be a vessel for your trichomoniasis stories through the Trichomoniasis Interviews. In time, I won’t need to be this vessel because we will have broken the stigma and opened the minds of others, but until then, I am here to serve you. Take off your shoes and stay awhile – everyone is welcome here – and if you’d like, share your trichomoniasis story (anonymously). 🙂
*For a clinical diagnosis, always consult a physician, but for all other questions, our resources and references pages are a great place to start.
**For a detailed listing of awards and recognition, please visit our press page!
– – – –